49 things to do in Ripon and Nidderdale this Summer!
The Summer holidays are here! For some of you it’s a welcome break, for some it’s another 7 weeks (yes, 7!) of finding things to entertain your children after 4 months of lockdown – but at least we don’t have to home school anymore, right?
Don’t worry though, to help you out we have put together a list of 49 things to do and places to visit through the summer break. We have a mix of days out, days at home and days of entertainment costing under £20 – all within 30 miles of Ripon! Please remember most places are running a pre-booking system to ensure the safety of their visitors and staff so make sure you visit websites or social media pages before you go to read their latest guidance and book your tickets!
If you are out and about around Nidderdale why not pop into Cocoa Joes at 41 Pateley Bridge High street where, until 3rd August, you can get 20% off hot or iced chocolate drinks when you mention Ripon and Nidderdale Mumbler! Screen grab this picture and present when ordering to claim your discount.
Why not print our list below and tick off as many as you can? We would love to see what you have been up to so feel free to tag us on Facebook or Instagram! Watch out for our cheap and cheerful Mumbler challenges, every Monday throughout the summer on our social media pages too!
1. Thorpe Perrow Arboretum – Birds of Prey, animals, adventure playground and loads of space to spread out!
2. Lightwater Valley theme park
3. Newby Hall – boat rides, train rides and beautiful surroundings
26. Make a nature picture using only things you find outside
27. Play charades!
28. Outdoor obstacle course – make some medals and have a presentation ceremony after you have completed it
29. Make smoothie ice lollies
30. Back garden camping!
31. Make a jigsaw – draw a picture, cut it up then swap and complete each other’s puzzles
32. Colour hunt around the house or garden and make a rainbow using them
33. Create a summer holiday scrap book
Days out for under £20
34. Crazy golf at the Spa gardens – why not pop into the Sun Parlour Café for ice creams too?
35. Minskip Farm Shop – feed the pigs, meet the chickens, play on hay bales!
36. Druid Temple walk – not suitable for pushchairs but a lovely place for a picnic!
37. Brimham rocks
38. Strawberry picking at Beau Fraise YO7 3DB – near Ripon
39. St Wilfrid’s Day Saturday 1st August! – it’s bit different this year and people in Ripon are decorating their gardens and shop windows instead of the traditional floats! Check the’ St Wilfrid’s Procession’ Facebook page for all the details.
40. Pateley Bridge recreational ground
41. Jervaulx Abbey – pre order a picnic from the tea rooms to make this even hassle free!
42. Brymor Ice Cream Parlour – their Maize Maze is open now too!
43. Ripon Canal Walk – why not pick up lunch from The Forge on your way?
44. Seven Bridge walk at studly royal
45. G&T’s ice cream parlour near Sawley
46. Hackfall Woods walk
47. Visit the oldest sweet shop in the world on Pateley Bridge High Street!